WHY RED LIGHT CAMERAS?
Red light crashes that result in injury or death are on the rise, outpacing all other kinds of traffic collisions. Crashes caused by motorists running red lights are more deadly and damaging than any other kind of intersection crash. Red light running crashes not only cause more injuries and take more lives, they also result in higher medical expenses, excessive property damage repair costs, increased insurance premiums and lost productivity.
Research shows that the presence of cameras at intersections with traffic signals serves as a deterrent to red light running and reduces the number of crashes at intersections. Also, red light violations are more safely monitored and captured through the use of automated cameras than by requiring policemen to follow violating vehicles through red lights in order to issue tickets.
HOW DO OUR RED LIGHT CAMERAS WORK?
SafeSpeed’s red light enforcement cameras capture high resolution, digital color images of vehicles entering intersections after traffic signals have turned red. By utilizing the SafeSpeed system, any community can provide an inexpensive way to equip its intersections with automated photo-enforcement of red light compliance.
SafeSpeed records the date, time, and location of all images related to the vehicle, including the close-up of the vehicle’s license plate. Because of the undeniable photographic evidence, most citations are not contested and, as a result, administrative hearings costs are reduced.
SafeSpeed’s wireless magnetic sensor system, coupled with cutting edge algorithms accurately detect red light violations in both good and bad weather, 24 hours a day.
The sensors are small in size leading to a decrease in construction costs, and construction time.
The modular camera system allows the SafeSpeed system to be deployed at any approach and can cover up to 10 lanes.
SafeSpeed Infrared LED Strobe light allows capture of violations at night time without lighting up the intersection. Compared to other systems, this does not create a hazard to drivers on the road that can occur from typical visible light flashes.
HOW DOES OUR RED-LIGHT CAMERA QUALITY LOOK?
HOW TO GET STARTED
The following steps outline the process that your community needs to follow in order to establish a SafeSpeed photo-enforcement program:
- Your municipality communicates to SafeSpeed, LLC its traffic safety concerns at specific intersections within your community.
- Your municipality lists all concerning intersections and approaches on a signed research agreement.
- SafeSpeed, LLC personnel perform traffic studies and compile crash data from the transportation department in your state.
- Your municipality schedules a meeting with SafeSpeed, LLC to discuss the studies and identifies which intersections and approaches are most concerning and how to proceed.
- Your municipality passes a local municipal ordinance to allow photo-enforcement and other traffic safety measures, if necessary.
- Your municipality signs an agreement with SafeSpeed, LLC to provide a safety program.
- Your municipality completes the required photo-enforcement permit applications and program justifications. Your municipality works in conjunction with your state’s transportation department and SafeSpeed, LLC to obtain approval for the installation and operation of a photo-enforcement system.
- Your municipality develops and executes a public awareness campaign.
- SafeSpeed, LLC installs a photo-enforcement system at the approved intersection(s) in your community at no cost to the municipality.
- Your community’s photo-enforcement system goes live.
- SafeSpeed, LLC monitors, maintains and services your photo-enforcement system.